Monday, March 24, 2008

'Lil Toots

My sister Dana had emergency surgery a week ago for a tubular pregnancy. She and her family were at the Dells for their Spring Break with some friends when she began experiencing severe pain. She thought it was just kidney stones. The next few days the pain got worse and on Thursday she and Jim decided to drive back to Milwaukee and go to the hospital. Dana said that by the time she got to the hospital around midnight she was vomiting. Still thinking it was kidney stones she sent Jim home with the boys and said she would call once she saw the doctor. She kept hearing the nurses talking about pregnancy and she kept telling them she wasn't. Finally a doctor came in and explained that she was 6 weeks pregnant. He then went on to explain that they needed to do emergency surgery and take the baby to save Dana's life (She had already lost 2 liters of blood). My wonderful , amazing sister wanted to make sure that there was no chance for the baby before they operated. I know that we all say we would put our unborn babies lives before our own if necessary but when given the choice what would be your reaction? I am so proud of Dana's strength and grace she displayed during this difficult time. HWat a testimony to the doctor and nurses. The doctor showed her the ultrasound and lovingly explained the baby was already gone. Only then did Dana agree to the surgery. She called Jim, who immediately came to the hospital. (Thanks Jen for watching the boys!!!!) We later learned that we were within hours of losing Dana. Praise the Lord for sparing our sister's life!!! Dana said that when she woke up from surgery her first thought was that there was a little Towberman in heaven and that our Gaggy (our Grandma) ran up to him or her, scooped the baby up and said "Hello, 'Lil Toots!!"
Mom was here helping Tana with everything and me with a broken foot. ( It was a rough week for all of us!!! (-: ) Mom and I drove up and spent some time with them. Mom stayed the rest of the week while I had to be back to work.
Dana, Jim, and the boys came here for Easter with everybody and Jim presented their Palau ministry to our church. At the end of their video he says,"Please pray for our family as we plan our return to Palau in 2008" I kept thinking how close Dana came to not returning to her mission field. How good God is!!!!!

14 comments:

WTBroke said...

That was wonderfully written. It made me tear up all over again. Good job Jan!!

PinkAngel said...

Wow - how scary! I'm so glad Dana made it through everything alright. And what an awesome testimony in a time of trial!

sara said...

That is amazing! Thank God she made it to the hospital in time.

Shannon Fure said...

We're praying for you guys! All of you! Love, the Fures

Jill said...

Oh my word, Jana! I had no idea that this had happened until I read it just now. Praise the Lord for His protection of Dana!

Anonymous said...

Dad said...
Doogy, that was so well written with such sincerety and affection that it brought tears to dad's eyes. I couldn't help but recall how a few years back you would drive your sisters crazy as you sang out loud in the shower. Their comment: HOW CAN ANYBODY BE SO HAPPY IN THE MORNING. Recently you and your sisters have shown such depth in your lives through your faith as you have all gone through such different trials and tribulations and God does this to pull out the inner person from the heart to share with us that which we normally never see and appreciate. I am blessed. I also can't leave mother out of this because God and the Holy Spirit used her to so much to plant and focus your heart toward what God wants it to be. God bless you Punk.
I'm ready to go back to work.
Love Ya, Dad.

March 29, 2008 8:02 AM

Kelly said...

Okay Jana, you already had me in tears reading about Dana and then I read your dad's comments and I am all choked up! I remember staying at your house and your dad coming into the room singing "Rise and Shine Lazy Sleepy Head"! I now sing it to my boys and think of him. I love you all and am praying for your family. I am hoping to see Dana soon now that I am so close.
BTW, how is the house situation going? Take care and please don't break any more bones! :)

Sarah said...

Wow Jana! Please tell Dana that we will continue to pray for her--I am sure there is much emotional and physical healing to complete.

Thank you for the tips for packing. The labeling system worked out AWESOME and I have not had to dig through too many boxes. :-)
Love ya!

P.S. I told you to stop practicing your salsa dancing in the basement--you break something every time!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing what happened to our "lil" toots in such a sweet and precious way. God surely has been, and continues to be, so good to us in each and every trial and testing. My heart was touched as you shared your sister's experience. I love you and thank you for taking the time to record your thoughts. Love, Mom

Shannon Fure said...

Hey Jana, Matt is still just part-time assistant at our church. We are hoping someday that it will be full-time, but right now we are just happy to be in the church house and done with caretaking! It was a drag! So he still works for security, but we are able to do more church stuff now since we are closer and not tied down with the caretaking. Hope you are all doing well. Praying for you.

Shannon Fure said...

Hey Jana, Jack did NOT do well flying just because you have to sit for 3 1/2 hours. If he could have fun up and down the aisles, he would have been fine. He's a mover and a shaker.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jana,
Amelia and I drove past your vehicle yesterday on our way to "school" and we both wondered how you were getting along with your broken foot. It can take a toll on you when you are chasing around an active child I am sure! Amelia was a newborn for my broken foot.

I told Amelia we would check on the blog sites to see how you and Pastor Warren and Tana were doing. In doing thus, we read about your sister's experience. It brought me back to my pre-college experiences when I was watching surgeries and had the same thoughts of if the baby could be saved or not with or without the surgery. It was quite a moving and thought provoking time.

I am reminded of how serious a situation that your sister was in and like Amelia, have thanked God she was protected by Him. Also, thinking of "Gaggy", how warm and comforting to know such a wonderful woman is in Heaven to cuddle "Lil Toots!"

Hope to talk to you soon. I saw bits and pieces of the Cardinal's game tonight and thought of you and Alex.

Cynthia

Jen said...

Hey, Jana,

Caught your blog from G-Knee's... It was fun to catch up on where you are in life. :) God bless you!

Jenna (Andrews) Cottrell

Ruthy said...

Hi, Jana -

I don't know if you know me, but I grew up in St.Francis, and went to MBBC with Jim and Dana. Please let Dana know I'm praying for her; I've been in her position more than once, and I know how heartbreaking it is. Thank you for posting.